Saturday, July 8, 2023

The Time of Jacob's Trouble


“Now these are the words that the LORD spoke concerning Israel and Judah. “For thus says the LORD: ‘We have heard a voice of trembling, Of fear, and not of peace. Ask now, and see, Whether a man is ever in labor with child? So why do I see every man with his hands on his loins Like a woman in labor, And all faces turned pale? Alas! For that day is great, So that none is like it; And it is the time of Jacob’s trouble, But he shall be saved out of it.”    Jeremiah 30:5-7. NKJV


As someone who has taught scripture for as many years as I have, there are many memories of certain events which stand out in my mind in relation to teaching from God’s Word.  One of my most endearing recollections is the time when a group of high school students came to me privately and asked if I would be willing to teach a study on the book of Revelation.  I can say without question from my many years of experience, this is not something you hear everyday.  In fact, considering how much resistance there was at the time to teaching prophecy from the Bible, to say I was astounded is an understatement.  Yet it was one of the most rewarding studies I participated in as these students desire for understanding was amazingly encouraging to me on a personal level.


When teaching on the subject of the last seven years of this age, one of the first points I like to discuss is the purpose for this particular time, and discuss what I believe the Bible has to say about it.  One of the first things we find in this passage from Jeremiah is God calls this period of time “the time of Jacob’s trouble”.  My immediate reaction to that is one of great rejoicing as God does not include the Church in His statement, rather He seems to make it clear that this time is focused primarily on the Jewish nation.  Truth be told, until Jesus used the term “Great Tribulation” in Matthew 24, it was always referred to as the time of Jacob’s trouble which certainly lends support to the idea that the Church will be raptured before this time begins.  The reason it is focused on Israel can be found in the book of Daniel where God explains His timeline for the Jewish nation.


“Seventy weeks are determined For your people and for your holy city, To finish the transgression, To make an end of sins, To make reconciliation for iniquity, To bring in everlasting righteousness, To seal up vision and prophecy, And to anoint the Most Holy.“Know therefore and understand, That from the going forth of the command To restore and build Jerusalem Until Messiah the Prince, There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; The street shall be built again, and the wall, Even in troublesome times.“And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, And till the end of the war desolations are determined.”   Daniel 9:24-26. NKJV


The following is from an article by Jack Kelley of “Grace thru Faith”


The phrase seventy sevens means seventy weeks of years, or 490 years. Some of these tasks were at least partially completed in the 483rd year at the time of the Crucifixion. But Israel’s rejection of the Messiah stopped the clock 7 years short of the total leaving the rest undone. These 7 years are yet to be completed, but as Paul and James both specified, the clock will not start running again until the Church disappears. This is what makes knowing all about Daniel’s 70th Week so important to the Church.  It helps us understand why the rapture can’t happen during any part of it.


The Bible is not a book of generalities, it’s a book of specifics. Those last 7 years are missing and must be completed. When you read the Bible literally, as was intended, there’s no sense in which they can be placed in the past. They’re part of the future and they’re not called the tribulation, they’re called Daniel’s 70th Week.  https://gracethrufaith.com/end-times-prophecy/there-is-no-seven-year-tribulation/


The last “week”, or seven years of this age will be a time of trouble for the nation of Israel which will also affect the entire world that is left behind after the rapture of the Church.  While the first half of the week is designed to bring about the regathering of Israel to its land, it is the second half of the week, which Jesus called the “Great Tribulation”, that we find God’s judgment poured out on Israel.  Returning to the prophecy of Jeremiah we find exactly how God describes this period of time.


“ ‘For it shall come to pass in that day,’ Says the LORD of hosts, ‘That I will break his yoke from your neck, And will burst your bonds; Foreigners shall no more enslave them.But they shall serve the LORD their God, And David their king, Whom I will raise up for them.‘Therefore do not fear, O My servant Jacob,’ says the LORD, ‘Nor be dismayed, O Israel; For behold, I will save you from afar, And your seed from the land of their captivity. Jacob shall return, have rest and be quiet, And no one shall make him afraid.For I am with you,’ says the LORD, ‘to save you; Though I make a full end of all nations where I have scattered you, Yet I will not make a complete end of you. But I will correct you in justice, And will not let you go altogether unpunished.’“For thus says the LORD: Your affliction is incurable, Your wound is severe. There is no one to plead your cause, That you may be bound up; You have no healing medicines.All your lovers have  forgotten you; They do not seek you; For I have wounded you with the wound of an enemy, With the chastisement of a cruel one, For the multitude of your iniquities, Because your sins have increased.Why do you cry about your affliction? Your sorrow is incurable. Because of the multitude of your iniquities, Because your sins have increased, I have done these things to you.‘Therefore all those who devour you shall be devoured; And all your adversaries, every one of them, shall go into captivity; Those who plunder you shall become plunder, And all who prey upon you I will make a prey.For I will restore health to you And heal you of your wounds,’ says the LORD, ‘Because they called you an outcast saying: “This is Zion; No one seeks her.” ’“Thus says the LORD: ‘Behold, I will bring back the captivity of Jacob’s tents, And have mercy on his dwelling places; The city shall be built upon its own mound, And the palace shall remain according to its own plan.Then out of them shall proceed thanksgiving And the voice of those who make merry; I will multiply them, and they shall not diminish; I will also glorify them, and they shall not be small.Their children also shall be as before, And their congregation shall be established before Me; And I will punish all who oppress them.Their nobles shall be from among them, And their governor shall come from their midst; Then I will cause him to draw near, And he shall approach Me; For who is this who pledged his heart to approach Me?’ says the LORD.‘You shall be My people, And I will be your God.’ ”Behold, the whirlwind of the LORD Goes forth with fury, A continuing whirlwind; It will fall violently on the head of the wicked.The fierce anger of the LORD will not return until He has done it, And until He has performed the intents of His heart. In the latter days you will consider it. “  Jeremiah 30:8-24. NKJV


The purpose of the last seven years of this age is twofold. God makes it clear that this will be a time of discipline and judgment directed at Israel for its sins while also a time of punishment for Israel’s enemies and all who have persecuted her.  Yet as we have said, this time does not begin until the Church has been removed by way of the rapture.  With all the signs we see right now as the world prepares for this coming time of judgment, just how close do you think the rapture might be?


As always, I will close with these words.  If you are reading this today and have never made the decision to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, I urge you to do it right now. Simply admit to God that you need His forgiveness because you are a sinner,  be willing to turn away from your sins, believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins, and invite Him to come in and control  your life through the Holy Spirit by praying a simple prayer like this;


Jesus I know I am a sinner in need of salvation. I believe you sent your Son Jesus to die on the cross for my sin, and I ask you now to forgive me of my sins. I want to receive your gift of salvation so please come into my heart and help me to live and follow you as my Lord and Savior. In Jesus' name, Amen.


The signs of the time of Jacob’s trouble are all around us.  Deliverance is only afforded to the Church, made up of those who believe in the salvation offered to us by Jesus’ sacrifice, and the call to come home could happen at any moment.


Keep watching.