Saturday, November 4, 2023

Everlasting Means Everlasting


“And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you.“Also I give to you and your descendants after you the land in which you are a stranger, all the land of Canaan, as an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.”  Genesis 17:7=8. NKJV


“God doesn’t lie”!  I don’t recall when I first heard those words, but it was something I heard in church when I was quite young and it has remained in my thoughts my entire life.  I’m sure that most believers would agree wholeheartedly with that statement as the belief in God’s promises to us is the foundation of our faith.  Yet despite that, it seems that some tend to forget the promises made to Israel in the Old Testament and the fact that no matter when they are made, God always keeps His promises.


As we watch the ongoing war in the Middle East unfold, the subject of Israel’s “right” to the land is often the main topic in many news reports.  It amazes me that the ignorance of some is so complete that they are of the opinion that Israel never existed before 1948 when the UN passed the resolution which created the modern day nation of Israel.  The uncomfortable truth for many, however, is that the nation of Israel was established long ago, not by man, but by God Himself.


The passage above reveals the covenant made between God and Abraham, and his descendants as well, which occurred almost four thousand years ago.  In it God makes clear that His covenant is an “everlasting” one and one that He will not allow to be broken.  The attempts by Israel’s enemies to destroy them and retake the land for themselves is by God’s own words a fruitless endeavor.  The land was God’s to give and He chose to give it to Abraham and his descendants forever.  It should also be an obvious and foregone conclusion that He will see that no one violates it.


While the passage above reveals God’s covenant with Israel concerning the land, He also made other promises which should be taken into account as they reveal the purpose He had in doing so.  God had a plan for humanity and the nation of Israel was to be the vehicle through which His plan was to be revealed.  While the study of the Abrahamic Covenant is long and exhaustive, I want to share just four promises from God to Israel the following passage.


“Now the LORD had said to Abram:“ Get out of your country, From your family And from your father’s house, To a land that I will show you. I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing.I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”  Genesis 12:1-3. NKJV


The promise of property.  “Get out of your country, From your family And from your father’s house, To a land that I will show you.”  The first promise God made was to establish a place for Israel to dwell, and He chose the land of Canaan.  As creator and owner of this world, God has the right to do with it as He wishes.  When it came to creating a nation for His chosen people, He chose the place, set the boundaries, and moved His people there, 


The promise of prosperity.  “I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great”.  One of the most obvious conclusions one can arrive at when looking at the modern day nation of Israel is that this particular promise has been well kept.  Israel is the jewel of the Middle East in so many different ways, and it’s economy is the envy of most if not all of the surrounding countries.


The promise of protection. I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you”.  If history shows us anything about the nation of Israel, it shows that God’s protection has, since their inception, been on His chosen people.  While allowing judgment to fall on the nation at times throughout history, the Jews have always been protected and preserved as a people according to God’s plan for them as a people.


The promise of purpose.  “And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed”.  The most obvious answer to this promise is the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the Messiah who came to save the world.  Born as a Jew, fulfilling Old Testament prophecy, God in flesh sacrificed Himself to save the world.


Along with many, I believe we are seeing the fulfillment of the prophecies God has made concerning the end of this age.  The nation of Israel is God's timepiece, and we can tell what time it is by simply watching what God allows to happen to them, and in that part of the world. God made an everlasting covenant with the nation of Israel and everlasting means everlasting.  God doesn’t change and His promises never change.  The attempts by Israel’s enemies to destroy them have been, and will continue to be, fruitless.  By picking a fight with Israel, you are also picking a fight with God. You tell me, how do you think that’s going to work out?


If you are reading this today and have never made the decision to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, I urge you to do it right now. Simply admit to God that you need His forgiveness because you are a sinner,  be willing to turn away from your sins, believe that Jesus died on the cross for your sins, and invite Him to come in and control  your life through the Holy Spirit by praying a simple prayer like this;


Father, I know I am a sinner in need of salvation. I believe you sent your Son Jesus to die on the cross for my sin, and I ask you now to forgive me of my sins. I want to receive your gift of salvation so please come into my heart and help me to live and follow you as my Lord and Savior. In Jesus' name, Amen.


Keep watching.