Saturday, January 21, 2023

Beyond Coincidence


And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.”  Genesis 6:6. NKJV


No less than three times this past week I have come across articles referring to a poll in which people stated their belief that we are indeed living in the end times.  It’s safe to say that this encourages me greatly, not only in that it is so gratifying to hear that others see what I see, but also to know that much of the world recognizes that what is happening now is most certainly not “business as usual”. 


Many will recognize this verse above from the book of Genesis where God’s feelings are revealed as He looked at what had become of the world that He had created.  A question I believe we all should be asking at this present time is do you think it is possible God is feeling exactly the same as He did in Noah’s day?  If so, then it should not surprise anyone that the possibility of God’s judgment may well be right on our horizon.


As much as most of us may strongly dislike the times we find ourselves in right now, there is no arguing the fact that opportunities to share the gospel have increased exponentially right along with our troubles.  Yet if so many believe that we are, indeed, living in the end times, it also follows that we must necessarily believe that the Second coming of Jesus is closer than it has ever been.  After all, we have been warned by Jesus Himself that we would know when His return is near if we but simply watch for the signs.  


“So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! “Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.”  Matthew 24:33-35  NKJV


While there are a great many reasons that I personally believe we have arrived at the time Jesus told us to watch for, I want to share just one of those reasons with you today in the hope that you will be as encouraged as I am.  As always, I want to make it clear that I am not a prophet, nor am I predicting anything to occur, but simply choosing to share something I found which gives me a reason to hope for His soon appearance.


“But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”  2 Peter 3:8  NKJV


In Judaism, there is a belief that God’s plan for this world will mimic the days of creation in that those six days will equate to six thousand years for the completion of His plan, with one day of one thousand years (the seventh day) as a “day” of rest.  Many Jewish rabbis have long said that the Talmud teaches that the Messiah must appear at or before the end of the sixth day, or six thousand year period of time.  Whether or not this is true waits to be proven but it does present us with an interesting question and a very immediate conjecture.


Most Bible teachers I have studied under agree that there were approximately two thousand years from creation to Abraham, and another two thousand years from Abraham to the day that Jesus of Nazareth presented Himself as the long awaited Messiah.  That being said, it follows that there could be another two thousand year period from Jesus’ claim to be the Messiah and His second coming at the end of this age.  In order for us to try and make any sort of calculation based on this equation, however, we need a firm point in which to start and this is where things become complicated.


I believe I am safe in saying that the date of Jesus’ birth and death has been the subject of debate for the past two thousand years. While the adage “agree to disagree” is the best way to describe the debate, one thing is perfectly clear, most all of the arguments seem to agree that His birth occurred somewhere between 4BC and 1AD with HIs death and resurrection some 33 years later.  Scholastically speaking, I am probably the last person whose opinion should be considered but for what it is worth I will share my thoughts on the subject and why I believe it might be worthy of our immediate consideration.


Most believers know and understand that just two days before Passover and His betrayal, Jesus laid out the plan for this age in what has become known as the Olivet Discourse.  As He began, He made a prophecy of the coming destruction of the Temple, which obviously came as quite a shock to the disciples when they heard it.  Not surprisingly, exactly 40 years later the temple was destroyed by the Romans and burned to the ground.  I say not surprisingly simply because many students of the Bible understand that the number forty is used most often as a sign of punishment or judgment.  So why do I believe this is so important?  


You recall I said that to consider exactly when Jesus was born we need a starting point, and as the destruction of the temple in 70 AD is a historical fact, I personally believe it proves to be that needed starting point.  Here is how I see it; if we accept that forty is a number of judgment, then Jesus made this prophecy forty years earlier than 70 AD which would place His crucifixion in 30 AD.  If we subtract His lifespan of 33 years we arrive at a birthdate in the year 3 BC which falls perfectly into the period of time many believe He was born.  Yet while this might possibly answer the question as to when Jesus was born, let me explain why there might be an application of this knowledge that will have a major impact for the Church today.


It is my belief that based on this equation, Jesus was born in 3 BC.  It also follows that I believe that Jesus was crucified and rose again in 30 AD.  This is where things could get interesting.  Based on the rabbinic belief in the six day of creation/ six thousand year time period of this age we can make the following calculation. If you add two thousand years to 30 AD you arrive at 2030 as the time of Jesus' Second Coming.  Subtract 7 years for the tribulation period and we arrive at 2023 as a start date for that terrible time of trouble.  Somehow I can’t help but think that this is beyond coincidence.  Looking at this equation and looking at the state of the world today one can’t help but believe that our time on this earth is quickly coming to an end.


As I have long believed and subscribed to the “Gap Theory” which teaches that there is a gap of time between the rapture of the Church and the beginning of the tribulation, you can see why I am continually looking up and expecting to hear our call to come home at any time.  Only time will tell if the tribulation will start sometime this year but I think it goes without saying that many believers today would not be at all surprised if it did.  If you have never made the decision to accept the free gift of eternal life provided by Jesus’ death and resurrection I encourage you to do so today.  Simply ask God to forgive you of your sins based on your belief that Jesus died to pay the price, and turn over control of your life to Him.  You can do that by praying a prayer just like this one;

 

"Dear Lord Jesus, I know I am a sinner. I believe You died for my sins. Right now, I turn from my sins and open the door of my heart and life. I confess You as my personal Lord and Savior. Thank You for saving me. Amen."  


Keep Watching.