Saturday, January 28, 2023

God's Holy Mountain


”Even them I will bring to My holy mountain, And make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices Will be accepted on My altar; For My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.”    Isaiah 56:7  NKJV

Some of the news from the Middle East lately surrounded an unannounced visit by Prime Minister Netanyahu to the country of Jordan for a meeting with his counterpart King Abdullah II where he discussed, among other things, tensions on the Temple Mount.  I believe most everyone by now understands that the area in Jerusalem known as the Temple Mount is by far the most contentious piece of real estate in Israel.  As many subjects I have had the opportunity to study over the years, by far the most intriguing is this particular site and it's importance not only to Israel, but to God Himself. To many, there is a firm belief that God ordained this exact piece of real estate to be the most important to be found in the entire world.


While it appears that things have settled down a bit, the truth is that tensions on the Temple Mount run high and it never takes much to produce an explosion of emotion.  Yet might this simply be the calm before the real storm?  I enjoy reading quotes in the news from both Islamic and Jewish officials arguing over the Temple Mount, especially when they choose to use the term “ownership”.  From conversations I have had, I often wonder why more people fail to notice this subject never is officially addressed.  In the prophecy of Isaiah, it seems to me that God chooses to address this very argument by four times stating exactly who the real owner is.  Of the Temple Mount, God says “My holy mountain”, “My house of prayer”, “My altar”, and “My house”.  I think you could make the case here that He settles the ownership issue rather emphatically if not completely.


Yet in spite of the hostility by those opposed to an place of worship for the Jews, the Bible makes it very clear in many places, including the Isaiah passage, that there soon will be a rebuilt Temple in Israel for worship and for sacrifice.  I am sure most will recall this passage from Daniel referring to the coming desecration which will occur in the Temple by the antichrist at the beginning of the Great Tribulation.


”Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation, which is determined, Is poured out on the desolate.”    Daniel 9:27  NKJV


Paul the Apostle also refers to this same event in his letter to the Thessalonians.


”Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.”                                                2 Thessalonians 2:3-4  NKJV 


So if there obviously will be a rebuilt Temple sometime in the near future, it seems logical that as watchers we should be sensitive and cognizant of any and all developments surrounding the Temple Mount and the movement to allow the Jewish people a place to worship.  How soon might all of this play out?  Since the passage from Daniel clearly states the temple will exist at the middle of the seven year tribulation, it follows construction must begin at or near the beginning of that seven year period of time and if that is the case preparations should have most certainly already be in place.  Most scholars believe that it is the antichrist who manages to convince all parties to agree to the construction of the future Temple in Israel.  Considering how close many feel we are to the start of the tribulation, it seems inevitable that we would begin to see the Temple Mount in the news with regularity.


With that in mind, it should come as no surprise that in recent years there have been numerous steps taken and preparations made for the rebuilding of the temple. The instruments for sacrifice and worship have been constructed, the garments for the priests to wear have been made, and those who have been identified as being descendants from the tribe of Levi are even now being trained to serve as priests. The one drawback here though may be that it is reported that only a small minority of Jews are interested in rebuilding the temple on the Temple Mount. Many believe there is no way that Israel would attempt to start rebuilding the temple at this point in time especially considering the situation that exists with the Muslim Authority which controls the Temple Mount. It is only if a situation exists where the vast majority of the Jews want to rebuild, and the government is unafraid of retaliation that this rebuilding could occur. So what could happen to produce this feeling in Israel today?


I believe the answer can be found in the events of Ezekiel 38,39 where we are told of the conflict referred to as the Gog Magog War. I think the most telling part of this prophecy is to be found in the revelation that it is God Himself that intervenes to protect and save Israel from the invading armies of Gog. When Israel sees that they have been saved by Divine intervention, I believe they will at that time want to rebuild the temple to give thanks to God. Of course, this is also the time where the Antichrist will enforce an agreement which will allow that rebuilding to take place. The stage is set for the next war to begin and the only question before us is "when"? 


Every week we are treated to more and more signs that our deliverance is close at hand. If you have never made the decision to accept the gift of eternal life offered by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ I urge you to do it today.  Simply tell God you accept His Son Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and turn your life over to His control.
  

Father, I know I am a sinner in need of salvation. I believe you sent your Son Jesus to die on the cross for my sin, and I ask you now to forgive me of my sins. I want to receive your gift of salvation so please come into my heart and help me to live and follow you as my Lord and Savior. In Jesus' name, Amen.


Keep Watching.